Search This Blog

Monday 27 August 2018

Tallgrass ~ Sandra Dallas

narrated by Lorelei King  (epukapuka audiobook) (5

I think Lorelei King's talented narration made this book - not sure I would have appreciated it this much in the written format - and I know this is one of those stories that is going to stay with me for a long time. Tallgrass covers a dark WWII era in American history - a US portion of history I haven't read much about  - our country had it's own WWII internment camps for German, Italian and Japanese civilians.   This story is about a family that live and farm near a Japanese internment camp.  I loved the character of the mum, dad, and, youngest daughter; and their interactions with the Japenese sent to their district.  
This is NOT a lite, fluffy read, Dallas covers really gritty, hard topics:  blatant racism, 3 accounts of rape, 2 murders - one of a young teen, spousal abuse.  The interview with Dallas at the end gives the story another layer.  
I  handed this to my husband to listen to, and he's appreciating it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments are welcomed :)

The number beside each book is my personal rating for the book, or audiobook, at the time of reading with the range being:

(1) = would not recommend,

(2) = some interesting aspects but not one of my recommended reads,

(3) = would recommend.

(4) = Really good, enjoyable, (or worthy) read, would definitely recommend

(5) = Excellent book, highly recommend