Search This Blog

Monday 11 June 2018

North and South ~ Elizabeth Gaskell

Juliet Stevenson’s narration is a work of art.  (5) (Classic) 
switched between audio & e.book. 
By purchasing the $0.00 kindle edition I ended up with a 'price reduced' selection of audiobook options to chose from.  For Lower North Island New Zealanders, epukapuka has the audiobook narrated by Clare Wille available for loan.
This book was a restart read for me, I had laid it aside for other reading in 2016,  and I’m so glad I picked it back up to re-wrestle with this year.   The first portion of the book tends to drag and so I had to just knuckle down and navigate through the first four chapters.
It feels rather satisfying to have completed this particular sip read which I ended up enjoying as the themes in North & South seem to be similar to those found in Pride and Prejudice… though Thornton ‘voices’ his feelings for Margaret with panting passion - something Darcy would never do ;)
It was nice to find the same portion from one of Michael Drayton’s sonnet, Idea 61: [Since There’s No Help] that I’d first encountered in a Georgette Heyer book, she gifted it to Lord Damarel to quote in Venetia, and Elizabeth Gaskell used in part 3 of North & South: 
Since there’s no help, come let us kiss and part.
Nay, I have done, you get no more of me;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments are welcomed :)

The number beside each book is my personal rating for the book, or audiobook, at the time of reading with the range being:

(1) = would not recommend,

(2) = some interesting aspects but not one of my recommended reads,

(3) = would recommend.

(4) = Really good, enjoyable, (or worthy) read, would definitely recommend

(5) = Excellent book, highly recommend