Search This Blog

Sunday 9 December 2018

The Mission Walker ~ Edie Littlefield Sundby

(epukapuka) Non Fiction / Memoir / Christian / Inspirational 

Whew!  The first quarter was an emotive listen: swallow, blink hard, and continue tomorrow….  I need the map to able to appreciate the actual 'walk portion' of the story - the chapters detailing Edie's walk tapered off into interesting, not riveting. Once Edie got to Sierra Vista I was back to fully engaged, for a while…..   the walk is interesting but I was so glad, yes glad!, when Edie hopped in the vehicle and was driven towards the border and her husband Dale.  I was ready for the narrator to be done and for Edie to go home and spend Christmas with her family too.    

I greatly admire this woman, and her inspiring journey of faith - my rating is for the audiobook, not Edie as a person: she's a solid 5*.
I appreciate the wise insights she sprinkled throughout her book.

Here are a few I jotted down:
Probabilities are just numbers, whereas possibilities are endless.

Acceptance of death and cancer did not mean I intended to give up, just the opposite. I was prepared to fight cancer not out of fear of dying, but out of joy of living.” 

I thank God every day for this life, and I want there to be more, though that’s not known. What is known is that I’m alive today, this minute. And that’s pretty much what we all have – this day, this moment.” 

I came to realize we are held in the arms of God and are utterly completely safe - in life and in death; whether walking alone or with others.” 

Through the Grace of God and His medicine I am healed,” became my constant prayer. The prayer awakened with me each day, coming on the wings of the morning. It followed in my heart through the day, and was on my lips as I drifted to sleep at night.” 

When I put down Lance Armstrong’s book, I understood something profoundly. Edie, if you can move, you’re not sick. I decided right then and there that no matter what cancer did to me I would continue to move. Movement was what the physical body was designed to do; it was how it coped and functioned. Movement was vitality. It was life. I would move. Always. No matter what. Until my last breath, I would move.

Sometimes we have to move others out of our lives, so we can move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments are welcomed :)

The number beside each book is my personal rating for the book, or audiobook, at the time of reading with the range being:

(1) = would not recommend,

(2) = some interesting aspects but not one of my recommended reads,

(3) = would recommend.

(4) = Really good, enjoyable, (or worthy) read, would definitely recommend

(5) = Excellent book, highly recommend